Saturday, September 19, 2009

A random sequence of events

There are times when our lives seem to be just a series of disconnected events, moments enjoyed or endured and then passed by until the next. Traveling as I do, these events take on new meaning; with definition that keeps me tethered to those who might otherwise drift away. For in these events I find myself surrounded by the memories of what has come to pass and those yet to transpire.

As luck would have it, my most recent journey home centered around a series of such events. Within the span of two weeks, a random set of miracles and tragedies and victories played out before me. Of these events, only one was planned; five years in the making to be exact. The rest just managed to take place while I happened to be home.

This year is the 100th anniversary of the school my children attend. As the Advancement Director, my wife has been orchestrating the centennial gala for the past five years. She has reached out to all of the alumni, going all the way back to the class of 1930. The big night was planned and of course I was going to be there. This was the one event I knew I would not miss.

Unfortunately, while life has its good moments, it also has its bad. A week before the gala event, my wife's father was diagnosed with colon cancer and admitted to the hospital for emergency surgery. Two days later they removed a baseball-sized tumor and a good part of his colon. My trip home was advanced by two days so I could be there after the surgery to help my wife with the kids so she could dedicate time to be with her dad. His surgeon was amazing and by the following week he was back home. As a precaution, he will have to endure chemotherapy. By all rights it is a miracle and we are thankful he is recovering well.

Being home a few days early is always a good thing, even under these kinds of circumstances. Under duress, the strength of the family is incredible. We all comfort and support each other and make it through these events. The miracle is not just that he survives today, but that he survives in our sometimes world gone mad, surrounded by all of us who love him.

Alas, while a miracle saved my father-in-law, tragedy was to greet us the morning of the gala. The morning of the celebration, at the same time as the open house for our past alumni, a wedding was scheduled in the Cathedral. While greeting alumni for a tour, I happened upon one of our priests. Usually joyous of heart, he was troubled that morning. As we embraced, he shared the sad news that the wedding of which he was to preside, had become instead a memorial. The groom was in an automobile accident on his way to breakfast. Another driver ran a red light and the groom was killed instantly. Too late to notify the guests, the bride to be chose instead to remember him through a testimonial from her heart.

The world continued turning and the day went from tragedy to celebration as over two hundred guests shared company while enjoying the memories of the past. The same Father I connected with that morning needed a ride to the festivities that evening. As I was the designated chauffeur, right down to the cap my wife provided, naturally I volunteered my services. I learned I would be transporting not just him, but the Bishop of the diocese and the Rector of the school; thrice blessed through a random event.

The days passed quickly as they always do when I am home. Weather conditions were great and school sporting matches went as scheduled. Our school is small, but determined. We play a strong game; however, with lack of reinforcements, we do not often win. This time it would be different. On the day before I was to return to Michigan I saw not one, but two of my children score the winning shots in their respective sports of volleyball and soccer. Given my schedule, I was fortunate in my timing to witness these two moments of victories.

As I look back I realize my life has been blessed like this from the start. Good or bad, each event has in some way led to the next; random dots on a page over time revealing the picture that is me. Remove any pixel and the image would not be the same. God has a plan; I just have to be patient for it to come to full resolution.

- Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment